Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Granola

This recipe is one I got from Kevin's cousins wife. Tiffany is an amazing cook, who does amazing things with whole grain food and all things healthy. My husband loves granola, and I have tried numerous recipes in the past that require you cook the granola for over an hour, and it's labor and time intensive. But when I tried this recipe, I learned that making granola can be fast, and easy. In less than a half hour you can have a large batch of amazing homemade granola. It's a great way to use up your food storage oats, and it's pretty cheap to make. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have, I can't seem to make it fast enough for my family, they love it!


6 cups rolled oats (old fashioned not quick oats)
1/4 c. Sunflower seeds
1/2 c. Brown Sugar
1/3 c. Sesame Seeds
1 c. unsweetened flaked coconut
1 c. chopped nuts (pecans, cashews, almonds)

1/2 c. Oil
1/3 c. Honey
2 tsp. Vanilla

1/2 c. Dried Fruit (rasins, cranberries, dates)

Mix the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl until well mixed, then add the next 3 ingredients and mix until everything is well coated. The mixture will not be super wet, but it also should not be dry either. Once it's coated well, spread the mixture out onto a large cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, then mix in the dried fruit and bake for 5 minutes more. Remove from oven and allow granola to cool, then place in an air tight container to store.

2 comments:

Doré said...

I love granola...this sounds really good and easy to make. Thanks!

Doré said...

Made this last week and it was reallly good! Only change I would make is to add more fruit. I did about a 2 cups but could have used more.