Search This Blog

Friday, February 27, 2009

Cilantro-Lime Soup

One of my favorite soups. Good as leftovers too.

2 tbs olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbs chili powder
1-2 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in small chunks
5 cups chicken broth
1 can corn, drained
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 bunch cilantro, tied together with string

1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 fresh lime juice

cooked rice
sour cream and/or grated cheese
avocado (if you have one lying around...if not, the soup still tastes great without it!)

Heat oil in pot over medium high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook till clear. Add chili powder; stir one minute. Add chicken; cook about 2 min. Add broth, corn, tomatoes, beans, and tied cilantro. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove cilantro bunch and stir in chopped cilantro and lime juice. Serve over rice with sour cream, cheese, and avocado . (It's a watery type of soup, hence serving it over the rice to let it soak up the liquid a bit.)

(Sometimes if I want a lot of "stuff" and less liquid I add 2 cans of corn, tomatoes, and beans.)

2 comments:

Doré said...

I was reading down the ingredients of the recipe thinking...I have had this before my mom makes it...and then I got to the bottom and saw your name.
I do feel like eating a bowl now though.

Emma said...

Not just a bowl...more like 3 or 4 :).