Search This Blog

Monday, August 31, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies

My mom made these cookies famous in church in my hometown - they were known to all as Sorensen cookies. The recipe is no secret - my mom got it off the back of a Toll House chocolate chip bag many years ago, even though it's not the recipe they print anymore - but the only people who have been able to recreate them just like hers are me, my brother, and my sister-in-law. My mom claims that the two most important things to make these fabulous are that you use Toll House chocolate chips and that you mix them by hand. I like them best right out of the oven or after they have been frozen.


1 C shortening
3/4 C brown sugar
3/4 C sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp water
2 1/4 C flour
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips

Cream shortening and sugars. Add eggs and mix until creamy. Add salt, baking soda, vanilla, and water. Add flour then chocolate chips. the dough should be a bit stiff. Drop by teaspoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for about 8 minutes or until light brown. Remove from cookie sheets to wire racks to cool.

No comments: