- On Halloween my sister made this soup and it was delicious. Everyone commented on how good it was, and I knew I needed to post the recipe so I could have it as a go to recipe. I hope you enjoy it and give it a try.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb Italian turkey sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 5 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (more if fresh)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 19 ounces fresh or frozen tortellini (cheese or meat filled)
- Black pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Fry sausage till almost browned, add the onion, zucchini, and carrot. Saute over moderate heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until the onion is soft and translucent.
Add the stock, basil,
bay leaf, tomatoes, pepper and salt to crockpot then add mixture above. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low 4-6. Add the tortellini 30 minutes before serving. Makes about 5 servings.