Search This Blog

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Lemon Crumb Squares

I bought a large bag of Lemons the other day while shopping and have been looking for great uses for all of my fresh lemons before they go bad.  I ran across this yummy recipe over at The Girl Who Ate Everything.  I can always count on her for great recipes, so I decided to give this one a tray.  There were a few things I would do differently, but I'll post those as we go along.   These were fresh, tangy and a wonderful treat to share with my girlfriends for our "Emergency Night Out".  They were very quick to make and definitely worth the effort.  I think that next time I will try adding some fresh blueberries or raspberries on top of the lemon mixture to change things up.  You could do just about anything with them and they would still me fabulous I am sure!!

1 ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1½ sticks of butter, slightly softened
1 cup brown sugar (lightly packed)
1 cup oats
1 can (14 ounce) sweetened condensed milk
½ cups lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix butter and brown sugar until well combined.
Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder.
Add oats and flour to butter/sugar mixture and mix to combine.
Press half of oat crumb mixture into the bottom of an 8 x 11 inch pan. You can use a 9 x 13 pan; it will just be thinner.
Mix together condensed milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Spread onto the bottom layer of the crumb mixture. The other half of the crumb mixture mix and knead together with clean hands so that the butter that you added earlier gets incorporated .  If this mixture seems too dry add a little more butter.  You want the top to be a thick crumbly texture, nof fine in texture once you have mixed it together then crumble on top of lemon layer but don’t press.  It should resemble the top of an "apple crisp".
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Allow pan to sit on counter for 30 minutes after baking. Cut into squares and refrigerate for a couple of hours or until cool.
Serve cool. Makes around one dozen.
 
 

No comments: